The Ypsilanti Reed Furniture Company was established in 1901 in Ypsilanti, and in 1903 the company moved to Ionia. The company was best known for its maple and rattan furniture. In the 1920s and 1930s, during the company’s peak, Ypsilanti Reed Furniture was bought and sold around the world. In 1938, with over 2,400 employees, it was the largest manufacturer in Ionia. During this peak the Ypsilanti Furniture Company also had showrooms in Chicago and New York.