Julia McVicker moved to Chicago and married commercial artist, George Rufus McVicker. In 1939, she enrolled at the School of Design, where she studied under Marli Ehrman. In 1945, she and Else Regensteiner opened their own studio called reg/wick HAND WOVEN ORIGINALS. They designed directly on the loom and produced custom-ordered hand woven fabrics for architects’ use. They also created samples for industrial mills. McVicker was deeply involved in her community, teaching weaving at Chicago’s Lighthouse for the Blind, being active at the weavers Guild of America, the Industrial Designers Institute, and the American Crafts Council. She exhibited throughout the United States, including an exhibition at MoMA in 1950.