Gebrüder Junghans is a German watch and clock manufacturer founded in 1861 in Schramberg as “Junghans und Tobler” by Erhard Junghans together with his brother-in-law, Jakob Zeller-Tobler. Within a short period of time, Junghans enlisted the assistance of Franz Xaver, a cabinetmaker then living in America, to acquire the assembly-line machinery for making clock parts. Once the factory and the equipment were set up, Erhard focused on running the business, while Xaver lead the production of clock cases; a professional clockmaker was hired to oversee the production of movements.
The Junghans brand was established in 1866 and by 1870, the company was producing 100 clocks per day. By 1900, the company had become the largest clock-making company in the world. It began producing wristwatches in 1927. In the 1950s, the company began a relationship with the Bauhaus designer Max Bill, who created designs for clocks and wristwatches for Junghans for many years. The company continues as a successful clock and watch-maker today.