Anton Michelsen (1809-77) opened his first shop in Denmark in 1841. By 1848, he had become jeweler for the Danish College of Arms. he was the only Danish silversmith to show in the 1855 World Exhibition in Paris. In 1877, following his death, his son, Carl Michelsen took over the firm and also took the position of court jeweler in 1880. For four generations, the company made jewelry of the highest quality. Today A. Michelsen is a subsidiary of Georg Jensen.